Our perception of God shapes how we approach Him. However, many people are afraid of God, fearing He is angry and unforgiving. He is the exact opposite of this image. He longs for us to come to Him with our hopes and desires, with our pain and with our troubles. As children, we would sing the song “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”. That image of God as an omnipresent being, holding the earth in His hands is both intimidating and awe inspiring.
I love to picture Him this way when I am worshiping or praying; a huge God, carefully cradling us to His chest. In the palm of His hand we are safe from the enemy, and we are prized and loved. He holds us when we are joyous and when we are broken, from our conception to our very last breath… We are always in His hands, through the mountains and the valleys, through the heat of the day, and the cool of the night. It’s a comfort to go to Him when we are in need.
There are so many verses that speak of His hands, as well as multiple songs. They paint a picture of the loving, kind God who cares for us. I’ve compiled a few that I like to meditate on, so that I could share them with you here.
- “You go before me, You shield my ways, Your hand upholds me, and I know you love me.” – ‘At the Cross’, Hillsong
- My soul keeps ever near you: your right hand is my support. Psalm 63:8
- “And the same gentle hands that hold me when I’m broken, They conquered death to bring me victory.” – ‘My Redeemer Lives’, Nicole C. Mullen
- I am the living one. I died, but look–I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave. Revelation 1:18
- “And every tear I’ve cried, You hold in Your hand” – ‘Praise You in the Storm’, Casting Crowns
- You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. Psalm 56:8
- “When my world is shaking, Heaven stands. When my heart is breaking, I never leave your hands.” ‘Your Hands’, JJ Heller
- “Found in Your hands fullness of joy, All of my fears suddenly wiped away.” -‘Here in Your Presence’, New Life Worship
Think of all of the ways that we use our hands. Hands are used to form and create, to lead and guide. To hold and to comfort. They wipe tears, they hold painful places. They protect and defend. When we put it into perspective, our Father does all of this and more over our lives. We are precious to Him! His desire is to care for us as His children. Whatever you are going through, whether good or bad, be comforted by knowing that you are in His more than capable hands.
How have you been viewing God? As an approachable father, or intimidating God?
Next time you hear or read a reference to God’s hands, add it to the list.
Meditate on this image of God to bring you comfort and help you grow closer to Him.
by Lili Morris